using reddit irl
12
> post a controversial, but polite comment in a thread
> get a lot of downvotes
> change your comment calling out users that downvote you
> get even more downvotes
> start arguing with some the reddit hive mind replies
> you can only reply once every 15 minutes because of the downvotes
> frustration increases
> get your comment deleted because you call someone's comment idiotic
> subreddit mods notice and remove all your other comments and ban you
> 🙃
@AgreeableLandscape
admin
6
edit-2
4M

Links sources debunking anti-China propaganda

“Okay Xi”

Or “HAHAHAHAH WINNIE THE POOH LMAO SO FUNNY AND ORIGINAL”

@ster
13M

Why do you like China so much? Big powerful government sucks just as much as big powerful companies - china has plenty of both

I’m completely buffled why all your comments getting downvoted. Your comments are even more civil than those from other person in this thread. China’s extreme mass censorship is undeniable, so it seems reasonable to not outright trust positive information about country simply because of “survivorship bias”. It seems like every reddit alternative that fully copies reddit karma system ends up the same…

@AgreeableLandscape
admin
2
edit-2
3M
  1. I’m Chinese, so why shouldn’t I be offended when people hurl baseless insults at my birthplace?

  2. As for the “baseless” part: Most of the shit the West says about China are either without any good evidence has been debunked. See https://github.com/dessalines/essays/blob/da19302634394d2cb77bc86f19997b2173d5531f/socialism_faq.md#on-mao-maoism-and-marxism-leninism-maoism-and-the-prc and https://lemmy.ml/post/47231, both with linked sources to back up their claims.

@ster
03M
  1. I’m British and I hate my country for all the awful atrocities it has committed.

On the other hand I love it because it is a country which has come a long way towards equality and made some positive changes.

My feelings towards China are similar. I have enormous respect for the country and it’s people and its many different fascinating cultures.

But that doesn’t mean I will forgive a genocide any more than I forgive the UK for imperialism, especially when they are ongoing!

  1. That document is interesting, but sadly I can’t take it seriously. No one is seriously naive enough to believe that China isn’t forcefully destroying the culture of the Uighurs (hence why journalists worldwide are being threatened and prevented from filming there). There is mountains of evidence, from videos to individual testimonies.

In Hong Kong, China is trying to destroy democracy because they want control, it’s extremely obvious.

Why would China’s government do good things? What motivation would they have exactly? It’s just as bad as any capitalist business, power goes to their head

@AgreeableLandscape
admin
2
edit-2
3M

On the other hand I love it because it is a country which has come a long way towards equality and made some positive changes.

Like your racist royal family?

Like all the stupid shit that Boris Johnson has said?

Like the complete disaster that is Brexit?

Like completely fucking up your COVID response? You know there’s a problem when countries half as wealthy as yours are doing better.

Like suppressing protesters, like you say China does? https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/04/kill-the-bill-protests-across-the-uk-over-new-bill-to-give-police-more-powers

@ster
13M

Are you even reading my comments? I detest boris johnson and the royal family, I’m a republican socialist.

The Covid stuff is more complicated, we have bad numbers due to government incompetence and reluctance to enact lockdowns, but in terms of testing and vaccinations we are doing well, and at this stage far better than our neighbours in Europe

@AgreeableLandscape
admin
2
edit-2
3M

That document is interesting, but sadly I can’t take it seriously.

What’s wrong with it exactly? It links mostly to Western media.

No one is seriously naive enough to

Yet you’re “seriously naive enough” to take what the West says about China for what it is? The West has been in competition with China since the goddamn Opium Wars, yet you just trust that everything they say is objective?

I think the fact that the most powerful MUSLIM MAJORITY COUNTRIES have spoken out IN APPROVAL of China’s treatment of the people of Xinjiang (why would they do that if Muslims are being mistreated?) speaks volumes.

The World Bank, an extremely Western organization, doesn’t seem to think there’s anything going on either, but Western media has been suspiciously silent on this. https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/statement/2019/11/11/world-bank-statement-on-review-of-project-in-xinjiang-china

Why would China’s government do good things? What motivation would they have exactly?

Do you need motivation to do good things? In that case, the entire world must be absolutely filled with assholes.

Or are you insinuating that Chinese people are naturally opposed to doing good things unless there’s something in it for them (presumably while Westerners are naturally altruistic)? I actually see this “argument” floating around occasionally on places like Reddit.

@ster
03M

What’s wrong with it?

It links to things which are no more believable than the propaganda from the US and UK. Why should I believe any of them?

I bet you’re naive

I don’t take what the west says about china and believe it. US media is a complete shitfest. But it really isn’t hard to believe, based on the thousands of reports from muslims, and the secrecy of the Chinese authorities, as well as their global approach to criticism.

I am motivated not by a trust in the West but by a distrust in the CCP

most powerful muslim countries

Yes, well-known for being reliable and giving a shit about human rights…?

World bank

That report you linked to seems to be about aspecific set of funding, not about the situation in Xinjiang as a whole.

Do you need motivation to do good things?

Individuals motivate themselves to do good things. Organisations never do, and the CCP is an organisation. They are extremely powerful, and accountable to no-one. Their only responsibility is to destroy any threat to their power.

The West is the same. Thanks to the nightmarish capitalist system we have, it’s a dog-eat-dog, selfish part of the world.

The irony of you saying this is that I’m not saying the west is good, while YOU are saying China is good. So why are the CCP inherently good when every other organisation on the planet is riddled with corruption???

@ster
03M

It’s very sad to me that the Admins here are CCP sympathisers, but I don’t care because at least they aren’t US fanatic idiots like on Reddit

@ster
03M

It’s just common sense… China has massive online censorship, no democracy, and a history of violence against its own people. People who think the CCP are a force for good are as pathetic as those who think the CIA are

@AgreeableLandscape
admin
2
edit-2
3M

It’s just common sense…

Tell me this: have you ever been to China? Have you ever talked to their people? Have you ever met a Hong Kong or Xinjiang resident and had a sit down chat with them?

If not, you’re just regurgitating what the West has taught you. And it’s quite bold of you to think that the West isn’t suppressing evidence against their lies.

Stop using phrases like “it’s common sense” or “you’re naive if…” if you want to have a serious discussion about this.

@ster
13M

Yes, I know a number of people from Hong Kong, as it has historical ties with the UK. Xinjiang is not a community I have ever come into contact with.

The West has its propaganda, but it does have free press, unlike China, and the internet is uncensored. The same sources which tell me about the atrocities in Xinjiang which you inexplicably deny are the ones who taught me about the horrors of the British empire. My sources are not biased because they recognise flaws in both parts of the world.

I’d love to leave Reddit behind forever.

I’ve been on reddit for over 7 years, mostly in smaller, obscure subreddits. At least there everything was civil and helpful. But if I ever strayed to /r/wtf or /r/til then the only comments that get noticed are funny stuff. Really interesting and insightful stuff gets buried. Oh, and the shitposts and so many repost!

I don’t want to sound mean, but for me it’s another site that’s been taken over by karma-removed idiots. Now with the privacy issues it’s time to leave it behind.

@haych
34M

What I’ve found is, if ever I make a comment that I find helpful, or fair, and downvotes seem unjustified, if I delete and recomment the exact same thing a few hours later o suddenly get that upvoted. It absolutely blows my mind.

@k_o_t
admin
creator
1
edit-2
4M

deleted by creator

@datendefekt
1
edit-2
3M

deleted by creator

  • 0 users online
  • 1 user / day
  • 1 user / week
  • 6 users / month
  • 49 users / 6 months
  • 703 subscribers
  • 34 Posts
  • 181 Comments
  • Modlog