• 7 Posts
  • 62 Comments
Joined 7M ago
cake
Cake day: Jan 10, 2021

help-circle
rss

Agree with this. Might as well just have freight rail + battery trucks at the end points.


There’s some discussion below on trolley buses, although Toronto specific. Seems like trolley buses have had a very short range battery for a while now, in case of emergency need to go off wire. Also, the issue of detachment appears to be more about operational maintenance, the below suggests that Vancouver has been good at minimizing wire detachments. Also, interesting to note that the average life-cycle of trolley buses is 20-24 years as opposed to diesel buses which is around 10-14. I’m not sure where ebuses would fit in, since we haven’t yet had enough testing of them yet.

https://stevemunro.ca/2021/03/05/are-ebuses-the-answer-to-everything/




This is horrible news. Tunisia was up to this point the only Arab democracy. The Tunisian political class have failed the efforts of the Tunisian people to free themselves of authoritarianism…


Electric bikes make motorcycles pure vanity methods of transport nowadays.


deleted by creator


I think that might be it. Thanks for pointing out. Will update soon.

Edit: Yup, works now!


Strange, still not working for me.


I get SSL error 35 using gmnlm.


Correct, but the graph above is household mortgages, not commercial buildings. So this debt is indeed originated largely by banks directly to consumers. It is then re-securitized and sold off to more institutional investors who end up holding the debt as an asset, but the liability is on the household side.


Well, there is debt and equity. Retirement savings are already largely held in equity and in government bonds. You could argue that some of this is used to finance bank equity and ends up supporting a business model that uses deposits for consumer loans, but that’s a small portion of savings.

Basically, what I’m saying is you can shift most of the debt above to productive investment, rather than to finance consumption of things that should be by right (housing, education, transportation, health care).


The primary sources of debt in the US is mortgages, at roughly 70% of all outstanding debt. On top of that 10% is a combination of auto and student loans. Already you can eliminate 80% of debt without even touching personal loans or credit card loans used to finance consumption.

Add credit cards to that, you’ve reached roughly 90% of all household debt in the US. The remaining 10% really depends on what it is that one wants to ‘buy’. It’s entirely possible to provide those services without loans.


Exactly, given imessage/facetime was used on iOS, virtually every iPhone is at risk. The same applies to Android depending on whether the exploit depends on something at the OS level or software like Whatsapp.

Diversity of OS is certainly a way to go, but ultimately, tying your identity to a device that communicates with a cell phone tower makes this needlessly hard. Your phone number easily identifies a device. For a firm as sophisticated as NSO, Linux is not an obstacle, as it is not free of potential exploits. It’s moreso identifying a device as belonging to you that puts you at risk.

Ultimately, if one is truly at risk of state intelligence, one should simply not use a device that relies on a cell phone network that can be easily traced to you.


The right system, especially in a dense city like NYC, is to have a cooperative run mass-transit system. Meaning buses and trains. Ride-sharing is the wrong solution to transportation from an environmental and from an economic perspective. We shouldn’t look to employ thousands to do the jobs of 10s. That’s literally the difference in scale in bus/metro operations versus ride-share.

While preferable to Uber/Lyft, this is copying a capitalist solution to a social problem that has been solved in other places that have decent public transport.

If they had proposed to replace dollar vans in NYC, now that would be more interesting. But I’m fairly certain MTA would not look on that favourably (I’m not sure if it is legal to operate as a competitor to a public transportation service. Although in the current context, this is now blurred given the existence of ride-sharing.)


I can agree with that. In such circumstances, how do you minimize foreign intervention influence while simultaneously avoiding repressing discussion of domestic grievances?


No doubt, the US blockade is criminal.


Certainly, no one is in favour of foreign intervention (i.e. US). I wonder though how much is driven by legitimate grievances due to economic mismanagement? As per this thread.


Why are there 5 down votes on this? Why not express thoughts in comments?


That’s true, you can offer other assets as collateral to secure a loan, but that is typically for unsecured loans (where the loan is not applied to some underlying asset). In this case, the underlying asset, the highway and presumably also the land for the highway, would likely be the collateral on the loan.

In any case, one should be extremely wary of state actors in the case of sovereign debt. The potential geopolitical risk can be great, as we saw in the case of Greece when it tried to default on its debt.


Not normal if it’s any land that is not the land belonging to the asset.


Joey Ayoub is really excellent. Will definitely check this out!



Excerpt from the interview where he gives a brief intro as to why he is an Anarchist: …



New Community - Arabs

Community for discussing anything related to the Arab world. History, culture, language, politics, arts etc. …

16


Moderates