anti_consumerism is a community for discussing and critiquing the consumerist society we live in. The community uses an anti-capitalist lens to reflect on our own patterns of perpetuating capitalist values in our own lives and discuss alternatives.
Kill the capitalist in your head.
- Strict adherence to Lemmy.ml’s CoC.
- No debating or concern trolling capitalist arguments. There are other places you can do that. Our discussion starts with a presumption that capitalism is inherently unethical.
- Cryptocurrencies are not anti-capitalist alternatives to consumerism.
- No “holier than thou” attitudes. We can’t judge others needs/ability to survive the material reality of capitalism. Inspiring someone to consume less is more important than shaming some dude’s Funko Pop collection.
Ideas for Content
- Articles and essays critiquing consumerism.
- Instructions to repair or DIY goods instead of buying them.
- Alternatives to consumerism (gift economies, mutual aid, libraries, sharing, etc)
- Self reflection on consumerist habits and personal growth in moving away from consumerism.
- Propaganda and memes that inspire people to consume less.
- 0 users online
- 2 users / day
- 3 users / week
- 7 users / month
- 43 users / 6 months
- 195 subscribers
- 17 Posts
- 72 Comments